CMAP Weekly Update, 3-29-13
Among the highlights from CMAP executive director Randy Blankenhorn, a new Policy Update on 2012 housing permits, CMAP's presence at this year's American Planning Association 2013 National Conference to be held April 13-17, rebates available through Energy Impact Illinois, a new digital exhibit celebrating O'Hare International Airport's 50th anniversary, and updates and news on LTA projects in Riverside, Palatine, Chicago Heights, Glen Ellyn, and Chicago. Subscribe to get Weekly Updates by e-mail.
No Board meeting in April. Please note that the CMAP Board will not meet in April.Its next meeting will be May 8.
Policy Updates. In 2012, the region saw more new housing permits compared to historic post-recession lows. However, the growth has not kept pace with other major metros, particularly in the multifamily sector. Read more in our Policy Updates blog.
CMAP at APA. If you plan to attend this year's American Planning Association 2013 National Conference, be sure to check out a local exhibit on the region's progress in implementing the GO TO 2040 comprehensive regional plan. To be held April 13-17 at the Hyatt Regency Chicago (151 East Wacker Dr.), the conference will also include a number panels led by CMAP or partners such as the Metropolitan Planning Council (MPC).
Other News and Announcements
LTA updates. Among recent highlights from CMAP's Local Technical Assistance program:
- My Suburban Life described the open house held last week for the draft Central Business District plan under development with the Village of Riverside.
- The Chicago Tribune covered the recently completed Homes for a Changing Region project involving the Northwest Suburban Housing Collaborative (Arlington Heights, Buffalo Grove, Mount Prospect, Palatine, and Rolling Meadows). The housing plan was produced in partnership with CMAP, MPC, and the Metropolitan Mayors Caucus.
- The Times of Northwest Indiana mentioned upcoming efforts by Chicago Heights to update its comprehensive plan.
- My Suburban Life also described a recent open house for Glen Ellyn's downtown streetscape and parking study.
- On Wednesday, about 40 people reviewed recommendations at an open house on the draft Green Healthy Neighborhoods land use plan for the Chicago neighborhoods of Englewood, Washington Park, and Woodlawn. The plan will go to the Chicago Plan Commission for review and adoption this summer. The City of Chicago, LISC/Chicago, Teamwork Englewood, the South East Chicago Commission, and Washington Park Consortium are partners with CMAP on this project.
EI2 rebates. Energy Impact Illinois (EI2) is offering rebates up to $1,750 (an estimated 70-percent cost savings) for upgrades you can make to improve the comfort of your home. For more information, contact Emily Plagman at firstname.lastname@example.org. To see if you qualify for the rebate, please call 1-855-9-IMPACT. In related news, the Center for Neighborhood Technology (CNT) Energy and American Council for an Energy-Efficiency Economy (ACEEE) jointly released a guide for utilities on how to make multifamily buildings more energy efficient. ACEEE recently honored CNT Energy for its Energy Savers program.
O'Hare@50. The Northwestern University Library created a digital exhibit, O'Hare@50, to celebrate O'Hare International Airport's 50th anniversary.
Transportation governance in the news. The Daily Herald covered the proposed CMAP and Regional Transportation Authority merger.
Congestion pricing campaign. CMAP estimates that five GO TO 2040-recommended congestion pricing projects would create $94 billion of increased business output -- defined as final sales by industry -- in constant dollars between 2016 and 2040. Learn more at www.cmap.illinois.gov/congestion-pricing. To support this effort, please contact CMAP principal planner Erin Aleman (312-386-8816 or email@example.com).
Deadline MONDAY: Chaddick Municipal Development Award. DePaul University's Chaddick Institute requests nominations for its 2013 Municipal Development Award. The deadline for applications is April 1. Contact Kate Witherspoon (563-505-6826 or firstname.lastname@example.org).
Early bird registration ends Tuesday: Automation event. Manufacturing and production efficiency will be among topics emphasized at the Automation Conference on May 14-15 at the Chicago Marriott O'Hare. Early bird registration pricing ends April 2.
ArcGIS workshops. CMAP periodically offers a Two-Day ArcGIS Basic 10.1 Workshop, and dates are set for June 5 to 6, July 10 to 11, and August 28 to 29. Attendance at each workshop is limited to five people, so register early. The cost is $350. To register, please contact Jan Drennan (email@example.com).
Manufacturing cluster report. Visit the Regional Manufacturing Cluster drill-down web page for the summary report, a more-detailed technical report, and an interactive version of our Advanced Manufacturing Scorecard and occupational analysis.
Changing Course: Revitalizing the Chicago River
April 3, 2013
5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
Holiday Inn Mart-Plaza, West Point Ballroom, 350 W. Mart Center Dr., Chicago, IL 60654
Hosted by Healthy Water Solutions and the Natural Resources Defense Council