Citizens Advisory Committee
Roles and Responsibilities
The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) is authorized to establish a Citizens' Advisory Committee (CAC) to:
Promote public awareness of CMAP plans and programs, and encourage participation by citizens and other interested parties.
Assist in promotion and dissemination of public information and related materials.
Provide continuous and balanced public representation in the development of regional plans and policies.
Provide CMAP Board and CMAP staff with guidance that conveys residents' perspectives.
Ensure the effectiveness of CMAP outreach and engagement strategies by working with staff to serve as a "speakers' bureau" and connect us to communities to develop and implement the regional plans, GO TO 2040 and ON TO 2050.
Offer advice and assist as local advocates for CMAP and the two regional comprehensive plans.
Assist as implementation allies of GO TO 2040 and ON TO 2050 after its adoption in 2018.
As CMAP focuses on the development of ON TO 2050 and implementation of GO TO 2040, the CAC will play an important role in helping to shape the next plan and provide feedback on how GO TO 2040 programs and policies are playing out on the local level. The agency looks to the members of our Citizens Advisory Committee to represent the region's interests within CMAP and to be CMAP's advocates and allies in the communities we serve.
The criteria for being a member of the Citizens Advisory Committe includes:
- Members of the CAC must be full-time residents of the CMAP service area, which includes the counties of Cook, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry, and Will. The committee members will be selected to ensure diverse representation of geography, gender, age, ethnicity, and experience.
- Members must be willing to act as representatives of the entire region, not just of their local community. Similarly, each member should participate as an individual resident of the metropolitan Chicago area, and not as a member of any given interest group.
- Members must attend at least one (1) public event or meeting per calendar year on behalf of CMAP. Other activities, to be determined by the committee as a whole, could be writing letters to the editor on ON TO 2050 issues; serving as panelists or spokes people at events; assist in meeting facilitation; or assisting at CMAP trainings sessions.
Members of the CAC and CMAP staff will collectively define success. At the first meeting, members will discuss what they would like to get out of meetings and membership; encourage ideas for educational forums where members and staff could learn how to best serve our communities by sharing best practices and outreach strategies.
|Jennifer Artis||South Cook|
|Lulu Blacksmith||Kane County|
|Kevin Ivers||McHenry County|
|John Knoelk||Will County|
|Valerie Leonard||City of Chicago|
|Abbey D. McLaren||City of Chicago|
|Phyllis Palmer||City of Chicago|
|Stephenie Presseller||Southwest Cook|
|Faye Sinnott||Lake County|
|Wendy Walker Williams||City of Chicago|
|Terry Witt||DuPage County|
|Vacant||City of Chicago|
|Amaal Tokars||Kendall County|
|Meagan Jones||Northwest Cook County|
|Vacant||West Cook County|
|Alison Paul||Suburban Cook County|
One of the first tasks of the CAC will be to agree upon a quarterly meeting schedule. CAC meetings will be scheduled in the late afternoon to ensure full participation of members and will last for about an hour to an hour-and-a-half.
Due to its core function of engaging citizens from across the region, we would like the CAC to be fully engaged, active committee members. Each member of the CAC should plan to attend all of the meetings. And although occasional absences are acceptable, any member who misses three consecutive meetings may, at the discretion of the Board, be removed from the committee.
2017 Meeting Schedule
The Committee meetings are held at CMAP's offices in the Willis Tower (233 South Wacker Drive, Suite 800, Chicago, IL 60606) unless otherwise noted. These meetings are open to the public. If you are interested in attending a meeting, please send your RSVP to Cindy Cambray (email@example.com or 312-386-8748).
- March 14, 2017-Tour of Illinois Tollway Authority
- June 13, 2017-Tour of Chicago Union Station
- September 12, 2017-Tour of Riverwalk
- December 12, 2017-Meeting at CMAP