Homes for a Changing Region
CMAP is currently working with Kane County to provide Homes for a Changing Region plans to two clusters of eight municipalities along the Fox River. The first cluster includes Carpentersville, East Dundee, Elgin, and West Dundee. Work in Batavia, Geneva, North Aurora, and St Charles will begin this summer and is made possible through Kane County staff participation as part of the Kane County Planning Cooperative.
Homes for a Changing Region enables municipal leaders to chart future demand and supply trends for housing in their communities and develop long-term housing policy plans. These plans aim to create a balanced mix of housing, serve current and future populations, and enhance livability.
Homes for a Changing Region includes the following components:
- Analysis of each community's existing housing supply that compares the type and price of housing stock to the age, income, and tenure (rental or owner-occupied) of the population.
- A subregional housing analysis that identifies opportunities and gaps in the housing profile and looks for opportunities for collaboration between neighboring communities.
- A workforce housing analysis that focuses on the match between the sub-region's key employment sectors and the existing housing stock.
- A market segmentation analysis that uses industry standard data to separate each community's housing markets into key household types. Our recommendations will focus on meeting the current and future needs of each segment, along with strategies for attracting targeted segments.
- Design, planning, and facilitation of one public workshop for each community.
- A series of policy and strategic recommendations for creating a balanced, sustainable future housing supply, along with targeted goals that can be used to determine a community's future progress in implementing the plan.
- Design visualizations for a focus area in each community.
Northeast DuPage County Cluster
Fox Valley Homes Upper Cluster
Fox Valley Homes Lower Cluster
Northwest Suburban Housing Collaborative
West Cook County Housing Collaborative (2012)
South Suburban Housing Collaborative (2011)
Click here to download full plan (PDF 4MB)
The project team will work with multiple communities within the same subregion to identify individual housing-related opportunities along with common subregional housing objectives. This approach aligns with the goals of GO TO 2040 as it helps to balance the need for local autonomy while advancing the benefits of regional cooperation. The CMAP Housing Committee serves as the "advisory committee" for the project and reviews progress on a quarterly basis. This committee includes representation from the Illinois Housing Development Authority (IHDA), local nonprofit organizations, the development community, advocacy groups, and municipal staff.
The Metropolitan Mayors Caucus receives funding support for this project from the Chicago Community Trust, and the Harris Family Foundation. CMAP's LTA program receives funding support from a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Sustainable Communities Regional Planning Grant.
Project News Coverage
Workshop set on future of housing in Dundee Twp. towns, Courier-News, May 9, 2013
Report: Palatine needs more senior housing in future, Patch.com, May 1, 2013
Agency releases housing report for Northwest Suburbs, Chicago Tribune, April 30, 2013
Future of housing looked at in the burbs, Journal Online, May 18,2012.
Plan will focus on future housing in Mt. Prospect, Journal Online, May 14, 2012.
Village Leaders, Citizens to Consider Future Housing Needs, Patch.com, May 9, 2012.
A housing how-to for the Southland, Southtown Star, January 30, 2012.
Reisdents participate in housing 'game', Oak Leaves, August 30, 2011
Local workshops on 'Homes for a Changing Region' start this week, Courier-News, June 4, 2013
Elgin, others look to chart housing needs, Daily Herald, June 7, 2013
Tri-Cities region begins planning for future of housing, Chicago Tribune, October 21, 2013
Study: North Aurora's affordable housing stock dropped, Kane County Chronicle, October 22, 2013
North Aurora looks at future housing needs, Daily Herald, October 24
Public meeting on Geneva housing plans, The Beacon-News, October 25, 2013
Geneva Residents Can Help Shape Future Housing Vision at Community Workshop, Trib Local, October 25, 2013
Tri-Cities residents begin to discuss local housing's future, Chicago Tribune, November 11, 2013
St. Charles to host workshop to identify housing needs, Kane County Chronicle, November 15, 2013
Batavia residents, aldermen weigh in on housing needs, Chicago Tribute, November 20, 2013
Workshop helps pinpoint St. Charles' future housing needs, Kane County Chronicle, November 21, 2013
Housing study workshops wrap up in Tri-Cities, Chicago Tribune, November 25, 2013