The Strategic Direction defines the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning’s (CMAP) five-year plan to advance the recommendations of ON TO 2050. It is guided by CMAP’s vision and mission, and informed by the agency's core values.
An inclusive and thriving region
To serve the people of the region by driving innovation, fostering shared action, and advancing toward a common vision
Goals and objectives
The Strategic Direction includes three goals that align with the agency’s focus areas of transportation, regional economy, and climate. Each goal includes a series of objectives.
- Systematized and strategic transportation funding investments
- A modern and efficiently maintained transportation system
- Improved travel safety
- Increased inclusive growth
- Increased access to economic opportunities
- Reduce the transportation system’s greenhouse gas emissions
- Transportation network is more resilient against the effects of flooding and other extreme weather
- Region’s water resources are protected and sustainably managed
Leveraging CMAP's capabilities to deliver greater impact
The approaches within the strategic direction describe how CMAP can make an impact in the region. These approaches are the levers the agency employs to achieve results.
The Strategic Direction will be updated annually over the next four years. A new Strategic Direction will be developed after the approval of the regional plan that succeeds ON TO 2050 in 2026.