The Regional Housing Initiative (RHI) is a partnership between ten housing authorities in northeastern Illinois, the Illinois Housing Development Authority (IHDA), BRicK Partners, CMAP, and MPC. Participating housing authorities pool a portion of their available rental assistance to provide long-term support for the rehabilitation or construction of multifamily, affordable rental homes in communities across the region. The initiative actively seeks out and subsidizes developments located in low-poverty, high-opportunity communities or in communities undergoing reinvestment and redevelopment that would benefit from increased housing stability. RHI helps implement local plans, including those produced through the Local Technical Assistance program.
RHI Developers Application
Jan 18, 2018
Regional Housing Initiative Developers Application
- Developers using RHI are more competitive for IHDA's Low-Income Housing Tax Credit funding.
- The owner of the development receives a steady source of rental income throughout the 15-year operating subsidy.
- Low-income families gain access to housing in attractive communities, while paying reasonable rents set at 30 percent of their incomes.
- Homes that receive funding support regional and local housing goals.
How to apply
The Regional Housing Initiative has a competitive, rolling application process; property owners and developers may submit applications for this round of RHI funding at any time. Here's how to apply:
- Download and review the application:
- Application for developers and property owners applying for IHDA tax credits.
- Applications for developers and property owners NOT applying for IHDA low income housing tax credit.
- Read Frequently Asked Questions about RHI.
- See the following for information on how to leverage additional resources: Multifamily Resource Guide.
- Make an appointment to meet individually with CMAP staff. Developers interested in RHI support for the next round of Illinois Housing Development Authority's Low Income Housing Tax Credits call Robin Snyderman of BRicK Partners at email@example.com to schedule a conversation about RHI's parallel application procedures. Please contact BRiCK ASAP.
- Submit the application for review by the RHI Selection Panel. Applications may be submitted at any time if the development does not require Low Income Housing Tax Credits.
- If approved by the panel and the local housing authority, the owner will enter into a contract with the housing authority that outlines the financial and procedural obligations of both parties.
- Multifamily Resource Guide
- FHEA Opportunity Area map (1 shapefile in zip format)
- Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) Contract, New Construction or Rehabilitation HUD-52530-A, Part I and Part 2
- Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) Contract,Existing Housing HUD-52530-B, Part 1 & Part 2
- Agreement to Enter into HAP (AHAP) Contract,New Construction or Rehabilitation, Part 1 52531-A
- Agreement to Enter into HAP (AHAP) Contract, New Construction or Rehabilitation, Part 2 52531-B
- Project-Based Voucher Program Final Rule (October 13, 2005)
- Project-Based Voucher Rents & Units 24 CFR Part 983 ( November 19, 2007)
- HUD 2018 Fair Market Rents and Small Area Fair Market Rents