The Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) strives to develop resources that meet the needs of the 284 municipalities in our region. Since 2010, the agency has conducted a biennial municipal survey for the purpose of understanding where policies recommended in ON TO 2050 are being implemented. That survey also gauged the interest of municipal staff members in learning more about specific policies, such as form based codes and water conservation ordinances. View a presentation overview of how the agency has prioritized the development of model codes, ordinances, and toolkits based on survey results.
CMAP's Local Ordinances and Toolkits program strives to respond to that demand by developing resources that help municipalities to develop policies that support the goals of ON TO 2050. Each year, CMAP staff work with municipal officials and experts to deliver a series of guides that describe the process of implementing a specific municipal policy, from study to approval. In conjunction with the Local Technical Assistance program, the agency also expects to provide staff support to several municipalities implementing these policies in the coming years.
Local ordinances and toolkits
- Arts and culture planning toolkit
- Climate adaptation guidebook for municipalities
- Complete Streets toolkit
- Form-based codes guide for communities
- Homes for a Changing Region toolkit
- Improving accessibility and ADA Title II compliance
- Immigrant integration toolkit
- Model water use conservation ordinance
- Model local food ordinance
- Parking strategies toolkit